Last revision: April 22, 2022
This Millicom Privacy Statement (the “Statement”) is designed to explain to you, as our potential or current customer, how Millicom processes and protects your personal data.
We know that, in order to maintain your trust, we must be responsible in protecting your personal data and respecting your personal privacy. We take responsibility for our actions and will ensure internal compliance with this Statement. The privacy promise we are giving to you is reflected in our privacy commitment, which states:
Millicom is committed to the responsible stewardship of personal data and the protection of the right to privacy for all our customers, each of whom remains at the center of all we do. We maintain global standards on privacy regarding the way we conduct business in the rapidly changing markets where we promote the adoption of the internet while preserving high ethical standards and our values of integrity, trust, and transparency. We are committed to building digital highways that connect people, improve lives and develop the communities where we do business. We are ready to challenge the status quo when it is at odds with our customers’ well-being.
We also strive to abide by global privacy standards, operating under comprehensive privacy protection procedures, using appropriate information security and integrity measures and staying responsible and accountable for the data we process.
When we use the terms Millicom, we or our in this Statement, we are referring to Millicom International Cellular S.A. and/or its affiliates, including those operating under the “Tigo” brand. The Millicom entity responsible for the processing and protection of your personal data (the “data controller”) is the Millicom entity located in the relevant market with which you have contracted for our products and services.
By ordering and using our products and services, or by visiting our websites, you acknowledge that your personal data will be processed and protected in conformity with the terms of this Statement. In case of conflict between the provisions of this Statement and other policies or terms and conditions made available through our websites or applications, this Statement shall prevail.
We may make changes periodically to this Statement. We will provide notice on this website in the event we make material changes to the Statement, but we encourage you to take a look at our Statement from time to time to review any such changes. You can determine when the Statement was last revised by referring to the “Last revision” notation above.
For your convenience, this Statement is available to you in Spanish.
- What personal data do we collect about you?
In order to provide reliable and industry-leading products and services to you, we may collect data about you and the way that you use our products and services, in each case in a manner permissible by law.
Such personal data may include:
- registration information (in particular, your name, billing address, telephone number, email address and payment information);
- behavioral information (in particular, screen views and actions you perform online);
- network usage information (in particular, phone numbers involved and performance data regarding the calls you make);
- location information;
- mobile application information based on which websites you visit and applications you download on our network; and
- viewing history and queue for your cable television services.
- How do we collect such personal data?
We may collect your personal data in several ways and in each case in a manner permissible by law. In particular, we collect or may collect your personal data in the following cases:
- when you provide it to us while registering for a new product or service;
- when you use our mobile applications (e.g., Mi Tigo, Tigo Sports, Tigo Money, Tigo Shop, Tigo Internacional);
- when you browse our websites or use our services in different ways;
- while you are on our network but using the services of other companies;
- through third parties, such as marketing providers;
- through first and third party cookies and other similar online tracking technologies.
- For what purposes do we use your personal data?
In order to provide reliable and industry-leading products and services to you, we may use your information for the following purposes, in each case in a manner permissible by law:
- billing you accurately;
- optimizing capacity and improving the performance of our network and your connection to it;
- locating the cell tower to which you have connected, in order to optimize or trouble-shoot your connection;
- ensuring quality control;
- customizing the content, services and offers that you receive;
- improving the services that we provide;
- building application key performance indicators (KPIs) and measuring user engagement;
- conducting information analysis, sometimes referred to as data analytics or the use of big data, in order to make more efficient the use of data described above;
- sending you marketing, advertising and promotional messages and materials regarding products and services provided by Millicom and similar to those that you have already ordered from Millicom;
- sending you marketing, advertising and promotional messages and materials regarding other products and services.
We may also process your personal data for any other purposes justified by the necessity to comply with applicable legal requirements.
- With whom do we share your personal data?
We may transfer or share your personal data in various ways and in each case in a manner permissible by law, including the following:
- We may share your personal data, on a need-to-know basis, with authorized persons within the Millicom entity acting as data controller, but also within its affiliates or subsidiaries, including our internal business units, such as Tigo Business, Tigo Money, Tigo Internacional, Tigo Sports or Tigo ONEtv.
- Subject to the law in the market where you reside, we may transfer information to third party providers (in particular, for the purposes of storage and/or analysis); in such a case, we endeavor to contractually impose on such providers the obligation to ensure at least the same level of personal data protection and security that we do.
- Subject to the law in the market where you reside, local authorities, courts, other dispute resolution bodies and law enforcement agencies may be permitted and/or required by law, including pursuant to judicial order, to request from us, access and use your personal data; in such a case, we will do our best to strictly limit your personal data disclosed to what is legally required to be disclosed.
- We may share or transfer your personal data in the event of a merger, acquisition, sale of company assets or transition of service to another provider.
- We may transfer your information to jurisdictions other than the one where you are resident, unless otherwise prohibited by law; in such a case, we endeavor to ensure that appropriate safeguards are implemented.
- How is your personal data secured?
Whenever we collect, transfer, process, retain or delete your personal data, in each case where permissible by law, we will seek to protect your data and to employ effective technologies and process protocols to this end.
Our systems and processes will seek to incorporate technical considerations, physical security measures, and electronic and administrative safeguards with a view towards ensuring the safety, security and integrity of your personal information; however, no system is entirely secure, even those employing industry best practices, and like any other company we cannot provide you an absolute guarantee against third-party intrusion.
Our websites may contain links to other third-party websites. We do not control the privacy policies or practices of these third-party sites. Therefore, you should review those policies before providing any information. We are not responsible for the content or practices of any linked third-party sites, and we provide these links solely for the convenience and information of our users.
- For how long is your personal data kept?
Millicom will endeavor to retain your personal data for no longer than what is allowed under the applicable data protection laws and, in any case, for no longer than what is necessary for the purpose for which such personal data was collected or otherwise processed.
- What local law provisions apply to the processing of your personal data?
Millicom operates in many markets around the globe. Specific local law provisions of the countries where we operate may apply to the processing of your personal data when you are using our services or products in those territories.
- What are your rights in relation to the processing of your personal data by Millicom?
You will have the opportunity to opt-out of receiving marketing and promotional materials, in which case your personal data related specifically to those materials will not be collected.
You also have an accessible avenue to address concerns regarding your privacy. If you have questions about this Statement or the personal information that we collect, or in the event you believe your personal data was not handled in accordance with this Statement, please contact us.
We take your privacy seriously, and we commit to review your case and take appropriate steps in response to it.